What is construction management & why do we need it?
For example, you may face a problem in tracking all your project defects and scheduling their completion, but you don’t know that you can use PlanRadar and eliminate any worries about these issues. Once you start using PlanRadar you will find yourself with one click capturing, documenting and scheduling a task or defect with no effort. Every construction firm must have an employee who handles the responsibility of searching the market for the essential tools which the company needs. In this way, you will never be left behind suffering from the old traditional methods of management and you will maintain an updated workplace.
Project management in construction industry – An innovative framework
Pushing your team forward is not an easy mission because they are surrounded by many tension and pressure factors all day. Nevertheless, a research paper called assessing innovation practices in project management studied the case of construction projects innovative practices and how to implement them. The research established some guidance framework which easy and low cost at the same time is to be used in any construction company to maximize efficiency and productivity. The author divided the strategy into four main sectors which are the strategic management, stakeholder’s management, internal innovative work environment and external innovative work environment. And she stated the main practices as follows:
- Establishing a vision which embraces innovation.
- Establishing smart objectives.
- Formulating Strategies.
- Conducting internal audit “Strength & Weakness”
- Conducting external audit “Opportunities & Threats”
- Identifying Stakeholders.
- Exploring stakeholders’ needs and constraints to projects.
- Analyzing conflicts among stakeholders.
- Ensuring effective communication between stakeholders.
- Evaluation the stakeholder satisfaction.
- Stakeholder involvement in decision-making.
- Keeping and promoting an ongoing relationship with stakeholders.
Internal innovative work environment
- Employee motivation and job satisfaction.
- Provide appropriate internal conditions for workers in terms of ventilation, lighting, services, tools, etc.
- Provide innovative culture in the organization.
- Dynamic, open minded and supportive top management.
- Provide rewards and recognition for creative work.
- Workloads are managed to ensure staff have sufficient time to pursue innovation.
- Provide training for employees.
External innovative work environment
- Responding to change in customer needs.
- Utilization of new technology.
- Dealing with social and environmental variables.
- Dealing with the economic and political variables.
- Collaborate and communicate with competitors.
- Collaborate and communicate with suppliers.
- Reacting to market changes and consequently competitiveness.
If you have taken all these practices into your consideration while working on any project afterwards you will be amazed from the results. Nothing on earth works without knowing and following the steps required for success and the same rule is applied in project management. Check the upcoming principles of construction project management for working with a guided sequence of work.
3 Primary principles of construction management
Construction management work is simply full of various responsibilities. Did you know that the construction management associations of America stated that project management in construction project work includes more than 120 responsibilities? The trick is to know how to implement a strategy that embraces the main principles of construction management and to work with the right Software for Construction. This will ensure you that each member in the project meets their target responsibilities. Follow the next 3 primary principles to formulate your own project plan now.
State a platform of communication: Make sure you are in contact with every stakeholder, supplier and contractor in the project. One of the best ways is to use a project management software that allows you to send and receive any data with your project team. PlanRadar provides this feature by letting you instantly contact any project member using the in-app notification. Discover this feature and more by trying the software for 30 days free of charge now.
Make a continuous risk analysis plan: Unexpected risks represent your first enemy in the project. What you should prepare to face this enemy is to take into account any anticipated events or defects with a backup plan. This way you will minimize both the risks and your tension worrying about the upcoming defects.
Enhance your working monitoring systems: No matter the size of the project, monitoring and tracking your project is a must. And the good news is that you don’t have to do it the manual way anymore. Now you have a computerized system for remote monitoring on site and software like PlanRadar to assist the project manager following up on developments and defects. You now have the chance of not only documenting with the traditional method, but you can also attach images or voice memos using PlanRadar software.
Construction management concept – Simplicity is the key solution
Despite that each project has its own unique situation and condition yet there are key concepts that can be common for each project to enhance their efficiency. These concepts involve the technology choice, defining work tasks, identifying the relation between project members, the estimation of the required resources, and scheduling. Following these concepts will lead you to a good construction plan which is the main success factor in the project. It’s a critical task and needs a lot of effort to be coordinated. But what can solve this dilemma is to make it as simple as you can. For example, if you wanted to install a new environmental system in your facility which is still under construction, you will follow the previous mentioned key concepts. First, choose a specialist to perform the calculations and design the system needed. Second, you will identify to this specialist his tasks and his relationship with rest of the project parties. Finally let him adjust all his requirements to be all coordinated with the supplier responsible, then you are done. In this way, you have implemented a new strategy for your project but just using very simple and basic steps with no obstruction or delays in the project workflow.
Best practice in construction project management you can use to enhance your productivity
Construction project management tasks are never repetitive because it goes through different phases with different duties. But what should you do to follow a good construction management strategy besides using a fitting Software for Construction business? First, you have to make sure that you have properly planned for every detail in your project. Second, follow some small practices that can change your working efficiency such as the following:
- Before starting your work make sure to confirm the existing scope, budget and schedule of the project.
- Check your contracts before working and don’t start before you got all your legal papers.
- Arrange a repeating scheduled meeting with the owner and stakeholders to share the project updates with them.
- Be planned and organized in each step so you can save yourself from the unnecessary busy work.
- Establish a good and collaborative working team that works as one unit.
- Establish a project authority chart that shows the team hierarchy and responsibilities for each one and share it with your team.
- Emphasize that quality is the first target because its worthless to have bad work regardless the cost or how fast it is completed.
- Document all your work. This will be your first tool to use in case of any disputes or litigations.
Main functions of construction management – How PlanRadar assists you in each one of them
The importance of project management in construction industry is that it controls the three main stages of the project which are planning, directing and monitoring. Although these basic management functions have been developed and branched, they are common in most of the construction projects. In this part, you will know how PlanRadar can lead you to success in each step of them.
Planning: The first thing PlanRadar can do for you is providing updated statics and documents of your project so you can be assured that every completion work is fully documented.
Directing: To be a good director you must always keepconnected to your team members, so you can all share tasks and orders. That’s exactly what PlanRadar does for you. The software provides a special platform to connect you with your team, this way you can keep focused and directed.
Monitoring: Monitoring your project is no more a hard task with PlanRadar. Coming to this part you will find the most important feature in the software which is “ticketing”. This feature allows you to document any defect with full details using the filters option and attach anything you want such as voice memos and images. Moreover, you can immediately send it to the responsible member to guarantee it is scheduled for completion at the same time.