Facts you need to know about the role of construction contractors in operating sustainable green buildings
The construction contractors in this type of project take care of the technical and administrative tasks at the same time, which includes planning for every installation and real-time monitoring. The first method to overcome this struggle is to implement technological tools in work for documenting and connecting with the project team. Find in this article the main tasks of the general contractor in green projects and how to find contractor software that matches with all of these tasks as PlanRadar.
General Construction Contractor Action Plan in Sustainable Building Design
The general building contractor exerts his utmost effort to achieve the highest LEED rating of a sustainable building. This goes through three phases pre-construction, construction, and project closeout. The general, mechanical and electrical contractors start coordinating together since day one to perform and monitor the project workflow. A research paper which is published in the international journal of housing defined the role of a general contractor in sustainable green buildings in these phases with tasks to formulate an action plan as follows:
- Budget review
- develop “what-if” scenarios of cost implications
- identify materials to target
- Site visit
- assess the existing site-specific condition
- define the LEED job site quality control requirements
- Jobsite quality (to avoid shoddy workmanship)
- have a LEED consultant
- held Pre-construction meetings
- review manufacturer data and approval of materials before installation
- continuous monitoring
- continuous education of staff, subcontractors, workers
- Documentation (Builders warranty)
- ongoing monitoring of progress concerning LEED goals
- collect and file the material documentation
- carry out a mid-project audit
- take photos
- LEED culture and goal throughout the trades
- plan incentives for positive results
- post and update signs showing progress towards the targeted LEED credits assigned to project
Closing Phase (Project completion)
- Air Testing or flush-out
- schedule/cost consideration
- Final documentation
- have complete and consistent documentation
Although contractors play a key role in the green buildings industry now, however, they receive less attention and support than the design community in the same sector. The main goal of the general contractor is to ensure the success of the sustainable building process through defined stages. The GC now need to communicate with the design team, sub-contractors and meet the performance base requirements for LEED credits while on track with the schedule and budgets constraints. This can be simply performed using PlanRadar where the GC can document each project file, communicate with the stakeholders, and monitor the project workflow at the same time. If you ever thought of shifting from working on the traditional typology of buildings into new sustainable ones be up to date and start using PlanRadar. You have the chance to try the application now for 30 days free of charge.
Why Do You Need a Construction Scheduling App in Sustainable Building Framework?
Construction scheduling software is a basic planning tool that helps managers and contractors to perform their work more precisely in a short amount of time. But as a contractor what is the main benefit you will gain from working with a contractor scheduling software? Thoroughly effective contractor apps will let contractors focus more on the environmentally friendly process of the project. E.g. starting to provide solutions for waste management and site pollutions that qualify the work to pass the environmental certification afterward. Green buildings are not just a trend, having the ability to establish sustainable facilities is a powerful addition to your future business as a contractor. Using a scheduling software in this process will lead to benefits in the long run that will have a rippling effect on your working experience and reputation. Here are some of the main benefits you gain from working with scheduling software:
- Establishing a detailed strategy
- Real-time updates and statistics
- Project team integration and communication
- Fast decision making according to the existed data
- Cost and risk analysis
- Time coordination and transparency with project stakeholders
These features and more are waiting for you to use on the PlanRadar application. Next, you will find out what are the main elements of project planning while working on a green project. If you already search for new construction contractor software services working with the latest information technology for your business learn now more about our mobile construction management tool. Contact us now!
5 Main Green Practices in the Contractor Project Management Plan
Greening project management practices can significantly improve the ability of a sustainable construction project to be delivered within the acceptable cost and time constraints. Lauren Bradley Robichaud and Vittal S. Anantatmula have developed a matrix that presents specific adjustments to traditional project management practices to implement sustainability basics to the project. Moreover, they discussed how to gain the utmost financial success in the project by involving the whole construction team at the earliest stages. They defined the following guidelines that should be adopted when pursuing a green construction project.
- Begin with the end in mind: Set specific sustainability goals and project priorities for green building features before initiating design and construction.
- Integrate the project team: Hire the project manager and the key members of the project team early in the project’s feasibility stage to ensure collaboration.
- Design with the whole team approach: All members of the project team should continue to participate in the formal design phase, initial price estimating, and construction document development.
- Use bonuses and rewards in project contracting: Use cost plus-fee arrangements with special clauses to promote efficiency and incorporate incentives and bonuses for implementing sustainable practices and exceeding sustainability goals.
- Provide training and communications throughout the construction: Conduct kickoff and monthly meetings with the entire site workforce, including a sustainable education component in sessions.
The benefits of the integrated design process are essential for the successful delivery of a cost-efficient green construction project. This integrated approach helps the project team to overcome the stressful tasks of job scheduling and continuous monitoring.
Learn more about the construction tracking software services and features that you can implement into your business to make it skyrocket. Working green doesn’t necessarily mean to become less efficient or productive. Sustainable building Design is an opportunity to help the environment and generate some extra profit. Couple your project management strategy with a software that supports these tasks as PlanRadar does. Don’t hesitate to contact our customer care center for more information about pricing and offers.